This project will quantify whole-tree water use in sub-catchments that were burnt in 2003, 2007 and 2009. Resprouting eucalypts dominate many of the foothill forests and woodlands up to elevations of ~900m. However, in contrast to ash-type forests, we know little about the effects of fires on tree and stand level water use and yield. This project will be supervised by Dr Sebastian Pfautsch, Professor Mark Adams from the University of Sydney
This project will focus on tree hydraulics and how these redevelop after fire and how they help regulate water use and yield. A series of study sites for field-work has been selected. The research will involve extensive field-work using a range of physiological and meteorological approaches.
The Bushfire Cooperative Research Centre and the Faculty of Agriculture at the University of Sydney, are pleased to announce full ($28K) and top-up ($10K) scholarships for students interested in researching key issues for fire-fighting and land management agencies around Australia.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 1114