The project will explore novel biomedical applications of a new type of fibre, taking advantage of our recent breakthrough in fabrication of fibres in low Young's modulus materials such as polyurethane. These fibres can guide light, conduct electricity and deliver and sample fluids. They are also biocompatible and rugged. This offers multiple project directions from wearable monitors of vital signs, to implantable neural interfaces.
The project will identify a real world healthcare or biomedical need which can be met with our novel technology, and analyse the optimum approach for delivery. We will fabricate custom designed fibre in our research fibre fabrication facility. These will be used in a series of proof of concept experiments. Where possible these will lead to actual trials. Thus the project is interdisciplinary, encompassing an understanding of biomedical application, plus advancing knowledge in key aspects of the device physics.
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2463