Metamaterials are an exciting new class of artificial materials that can have extraordinary properties functionality. We have demonstrated a novel technique to make them and have used them to demonstrate sub-diffraction imaging in the near-field. To be truly useful they need to operate in the far field.
The project will involve the design and analysis of metamaterial hyperlenses and especially the constructing images in the far field. Using these designs, you will fabricate practical hyperlenses on our in-house fibre drawing facility. Additional components may need to be fabricated in our nanofabrication cleanroom. You will bring these components together in our state-of-the-art scanning THz time domain spectroscopy facility to demonstrate far field sub-diffraction imaging. Additional iterations will improve designs and demonstrate their application to real world problems.
This project builds on pioneering work by our group over the last 8 years in applying fibre-drawing to practical realisation of metamaterials, especially for sub-diffraction imaging.
Additional Supervisors: Boris Kuhlmey, Alessio Stefani
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2466