Fibre-based Scaffolds for Neural Implants
The project will focus on design and fabrication of biodegradable and biocompatible micro-structured fibres based on our current breakthrough in fabrication of fibres in low Young’s modulus. These fibres can be functionalised and decorated with biomolecules to promote cell growth. They can also be filled with hydrogels to provide a good substrate for nerve regeneration.
Dr Ivan Rukhlenko, Dr Syamak Farajikhah, Professor Simon Fleming.
School of Physics
Our novel technology provides a great opportunity to develop a cost-effective and unique solution for peripheral nerve regeneration. We will fabricate custom designed micro-structured biodegradable fibre in our research fibre fabrication facility. These will be used in a series of proof of concept in-vitro experiments. Where possible these will lead to animal studies. Thus, the project is interdisciplinary, encompassing an understanding of biomedical application, plus advancing knowledge in key aspects of the device physics
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Examples of inherent requirements may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights; Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
Want to find out more?
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2654
Other opportunities with
Dr Ivan Rukhlenko