Encapsulated Next generation perovskite solar cells
This project will build the next generation of photovoltaic solar cells for addressing the air-conditioning load in buildings by converting their facades to energy harvesting surfaces. We will develop low temperature bonding technologies that use field-assisted ion bonding in glass to encapsulate highly efficient transparent solar cells in an insulating glazing.
Professor David McKenzie.
School of Physics
The project will develop skills in the materials physics of glass and the science of solar cells as well as knowledge of the heat island effect in cities and how to manage it. We will have support from companies in the smart buildings industry including local Australian companies as well as international companies.
The project will have support from collaborators within the schools at University of Sydney, external additional supervisors from University of New South Wales and and Macquarie University.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision; Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
Want to find out more?
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2689
Other opportunities with
Professor David McKenzie